Basics of Business Communication
In this course, students will improve their writing and speaking skills in the field of business communication. The recommended level of language proficiency is English Independent User (B1, B2). The course is directly related to all other courses of the programme that need knowledge, skills and abilities referring to the sphere of business and cross-cultural communication. Besides, it contributes to the Company Internships, as well as to the final stage of the programme that is Thesis Writing and Defence.
The goal of mastering the discipline
On completion of the course, students should be able to perform oral and written business communication in the native and foreign languages.
The skills you get
- Students are able to:
- identify specific features of the formal (business) language style in its oral and written forms
- identify and adequately use verbal and non-verbal means of business communication
- maintain business correspondence
- communicate using electronic resources in the business sphere
- apply communicative techniques and practices to come into contact with business partners during meetings and negotiations
- manage conflict situations in terms of ethical standards in the field of business relations
- English for Socializing
- English for Phoning
- English for Presentations
- English for Meetings
- English for Negotiations
- 1st year, 1st semester
List of references and sourses
1. Bennie Michael. Guide to Good Business Communications: How to Write and Speak English Well – in Every Business Situation. London: How To Books Ltd, 2009.
2. Sweeney Simon. Communicating in Business. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2004.
3. Oxford Business English Skills / Effective Socializing. Effective Negotiating /. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2013.
4. Popov E.B. Foreign Language for Business Communication (English). Saratov: Vuzovskoe obrazovznie, 2013.
5. Frolova V.P. Business Communication (English). Voronezh: VSUET, 2018.