15 000 Government grants for foreign students are given in Russia annually.
What Government Scholarship covers?
The scholarship provides a student free studying on the chosen program for the entire period of education. Additionally, if the student needs to improve knowledge of Russian, the grant covers a pre-university/foundation program.
Monthly stipend is also provided to supplement students subsistence budget. In 2021 the stipend amount was 2400 RUB and 7000 RUB for undergraduate and postgraduate students respectively.
Who may receive a Scholarship?
All candidates Who have completed secondary school and vocational school (technical, lyceum, etc.) and successfully passed competitive selection in their own country can receive a grant.
Competitive selections take place in two stages.
1. The first stage will take place in your country. For this purpose, it is necessary to contact the Embassy of the Russian Federation or you can also apply on the website education-in-russia.com
- Required documents not part of bullet point
- Education documents (scan copies of original academic certificates and transcripts and notarized translations)
- Passport (scan copies of valid original passport and notarized translation)
- Document with qualifying round results, if you participated in the competition (Scan copy of the original document)
- Documents confirming the status of a compatriot, if necessary (Scan copy of the original document)
- Documents confirming knowledge of the Russian language (Scan copy of the original document)
- Certificate of HIV negative status (Scan copy of the original document)
- Medical certificate (Scan copy of the original document)
- Research paper in Russian or English language for PhD, assistantship-traineeship, residency training (Scan copy of the original document)
- Other documents (achievements)
2. The second stage consists in selection of suitable candidates by the Russian universities. Results of competitive selection will be known after consideration by higher education institutions of all received and evaluated applications.
The selection event takes place on the basis of the Russian Embassy in your country.
The result of competitive selection
Results of competitive selection shall be communicated to you within 1-2 months, including the name of University in Russia that accepted your application. If your application is unsuccessful in the competitive selection, you may submit an application for studying by contract and enroll in the Russian university as a fee-paying student.
What government grant does not cover
Government Scholarship does not cover transfer to the university, living expenses and health insurance.