Please, make a note that to complete the first step you should provide a notarized translation of your education certificate and supplements.

Any foreign students enter Russia with passports and according to their student visas. There is a visa-free regime between Russia and some countries. As a rule a visa-free period lasts from 1 to 3 months and doesn’t suit for longer stay or permanent living.

The citizens of Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan can enter Russia with internal (national) passports (IDs). The students from other countries, including CIS countries, should have valid international passports. Passport should not expire earlier than 1,5 years after your intended arrival to Russia.

People who don't need educational visas

The students from Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Tadzhikistan, Uzbekistan, South Ossetia, Armenia, Ukraine, Abkhazia can study in Russia without student visas.

How to apply for educational visa

You should apply for a student visa to embassy or consulate of Russia in your country, or to a visa service center.

Step 1. Receive an invitation letter from the University

Step 2. Documentation package preparing

After receiving an invitation you should prepare the document package for applying to Embassy (Consulate) of Russia. Here is the list of necessary documents:

  • Your international passport (original) and a copy of the title (main page)
  • A printed copy of an invitation letter to Russia
  • An application form (electronic)
  • A photograph 3,5x4,5 сm
  • The Certificate of the HIV-negative status of the applicant
  • For the applicants under 18 – Parental Consent to Travel for Children under 18, certified by notary.

You should clarify which exactly documents you need in the Russian Embassy (Consulate) or a visa application center in your country.

Step 3. Applying to Russian embassy (consulate)

With full documentation package you can apply to the Embassy (consulate) of Russia in your country. After having an interview you should pay for the student visa. The normal period of student visa consideration is 2-3 weeks.

Educational visa validity

For the first time your student visa is valid for 3 months.
Student visa allows international students of degree programs to work part-time and full-time. To get more information visit Internship and Work.

How to extend a visa

For student visa extension you should apply to the Center for International Services at INRTU 30-40 days before visa expiration.

Here is the list of necessary documents:

  • A 3*4 cm matte photograph with white background
  • Student’s International passport
  • Student’s Study Contract (a copy) or an Assignment for study by the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation
  • The Receipt confirming payment of the State duty (State duty for 1 year educational visa is 1 600 rubles (approximately $30)
  • Detachable section of the migration registration
  • Student’s Migration Card (the original).

Pay attention to the fact that every time after your visa extension you should submit the papers for the migration registration once again.

Migration card

The purpose of the migration card is to verify that a foreign citizen crossed the Russian border legally. Without a migration card a foreign citizen cannot stay, study or legally work in Russia. Beware that the purpose of your visit to Russia is underlined correctly: study.

You can get a free migration card form onboard any transport you cross the border or in a passport control zone at the airport or railway station.

A Migration Card is valid until you leave Russia. When returning to the country you should fill in a new Migration Card.

Migration registration

Within 7 days after entering Russia foreign citizens should apply for the migration registration. For this purpose you should submit all necessary documents to the Center for International Services at INRTU right after your arrival.

Here is the list of documents:

  • Student’s Passport (or any document of identification)
  • Student’s Migration Card

In the Center for International Services at INRTU you will get a detachable section of the migration registration form. It allows you to stay in Russia during the period indicated.

Pay attention to the fact that every time after your visa extension or changing your accommodation you should submit the papers for the migration registration again. Beware that your accommodation confirms with the migration registration form.

In case you have lost your migration documents

In case of losing or damage of your Migration Card or any other document you should immediately come to the Center for International Services at INRTU. The staff of the Center will help you to get the new Migration Card from the Migration Office or help in your talks with the Police or Migration Office.

You can read more about migration procedures here.