Any foreign students enter Russia with passports and according to their student visas. There is a visa-free regime between Russia and some countries. As a rule, a visa-free period lasts from 1 to 3 months and doesn’t suit for longer stay or permanent living.
The citizens of Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan can enter Russia with internal (national) passports (IDs). The students from other countries, including Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS), should have valid international passports. Passport should not expire earlier than 1.5 years after your intended arrival to Russia.
People who don't need educational visas
The students from Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Tadzhikistan, Uzbekistan, South Ossetia, Armenia, Ukraine, Abkhazia can study in Russia without student visas.
How to apply for educational visa
You should apply for a student visa to embassy or consulate of Russia in your country, or to a visa service center.
Step 1. Receive an invitation letter from the University
Step 2. Documentation package preparing
After receiving an invitation you should prepare the document package for applying to Embassy (Consulate) of Russia in your country. Here is the list of necessary documents:
- Your valid international passport (original) and a copy of thecover page and biodata page
- A printed copy of an invitation letter to Russia
- Duly filled visa application form (Electronically Filled)
- A photograph 3.5 x 4.5 сm
- HIV negative status certificate
- Notarized parental travel consent for applicants under 18 years
- Please consult with the Russian Embassy (Consulate) in your country on required documentation for your visa application.
Step 3. Applying to Russian embassy (consulate)
With a complete set of documents, proceed to apply for visa through the Embassy (Consulate) of Russia in your country. You will have an interview thereafter and pay for the student visa. Processing period of student visa ranges between 2-3 weeks.
Educational visa validity
Initial student visa is valid for 3 months.
Student visa allows international students of degree programs to work part-time and full-time. To get more information visit Internship and Work.
How to extend a visa
To extend your student visa, apply to the Center for International Services at INRTU 30-40 days before visa expiration.
You are required to prepare and submit the following documents:
- A 3*4 cm matte photograph with white background
- Student’s valid original copy of international passport
- Student’s study contract copy or an assignment for study by the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation
- Receipt confirming payment of State Duty (State Duty 1 year education visa is 1600 ruble- approximately $30)
- Detachable section of the migration registration
- Student’s migration card (the original).
The purpose of the migration card is to verify that a foreign citizen crossed the Russian border legally. Without a migration card a foreign citizen cannot stay, study or legally work in Russia. Beware that the purpose of your visit to Russia is underlined correctly: study.
You can get a free migration card form onboard any transportmode used to get you across the border or from a passport control zone at the airport or railway station.
A migration card is valid until you leave Russia. When returning to the country you should fill in a new migration card.
Within 7 days after entering Russia, foreign citizens should apply for the migration registration. For this purpose, you are required to submit the following documents to the Center for International Services at INRTU on your arrival:
- Student’s Original Passport (or any document of identification)
- Student’s Migration Card
At the Center for International Services at INRTU, you will be issued with a detachable section of the migration registration form, which allows you to stay in Russia during the period indicated.
In case you have lost your migration documents
In case of loss or damage of your migration card or any other document you should immediately come to the Center for International Services at INRTU. The staff of the Center will help you to get the new migration card from the Migration Office or help in your talks with the Police or Migration Office.
You can read more about migration procedures here.